How it Works > Required Equipment
Our recommended RFID equipment helps you manage laundry, linen, and item inventory across your community. When designing the SimSort system, we selected scanners, RFID tags, and other components to balance cost, quality, and ease of use. Use this short overview to learn more about the components of the SimSort system.
The SimSort system uses off-the-shelf scanners provided by leading RFID brands. Our current model handheld scanner is provided by Turck, a global manufacturer of RFID readers and tags. The scanner includes a rechargeable battery and partners with an Android smartphone by a corded connection.
The SimSort App, running on an Android smartphone, allows you to control the scanner in three modes:
- High Power Scan — for use when scanning many items at the same time.
- Low Power Scan — for use when scanning one item at a time.
- Seek Scan — used when looking for a specific item.
When creating your system, we recommend you purchase at least one scanner for the dirty laundry room, one for the clean laundry room, and one per residential neighborhood or wing.
RFID TagsSimSort features laundry-safe RFID tags made by HID Corporation, a leading RFID tag manufacturer. These tags come in heat-seal (also known as iron-on tags) and stitch-in versions. The tags are designed to withstand 200 commercial wash and dry cycles.
- Heat seal tags are easy to apply with a commercial heat seal press. Heat press units can be purchased from Direct Supply or other vendors. Heat seal tags are the best choice for 90% of resident clothing.
- Stitch-in tags are best for stretchy fabrics like workout pants, brassieres, and other fabrics that are stretchy, fine, or delicate.
When creating your system, we recommend you purchase enough tags to get your initial inventory started, and add more tags over time for new clothing or new residents. One way to estimate your needed tags is to assume about 70 items per resident, or review a few resident closets to get a sense of your community's average.
Web Access Devices (optional)
At your option, or that of your families and staff, standard internet web devices can be used to access the SimSort Portal and see the current status and location of resident inventory items.